Thursday, May 31, 2012

Conceptions of The Love of God - Prologue - St. Teresa of Avila - Teresa of Jesus - On The Canticle of Canticles - On the Song of Songs


      Conceptions of The Love of God


     On Some Verses Of The Canticle. 
                      Prologue 
                 S. Teresa of Jesus 
     of the Order of our Lady of Carmel  
           
                 St. Teresa of Avila 

    

     From the Book, 
     "Minor Works Of St. Teresa 
      Conceptions Of The Love Of God 
      Exclamations, Maxims And Poems



               Introduction To 
 The Conceptions Of  The Love Of God. 
            JHS. Maria.  
I have been a witness 
    to the mercies 
that our Lord grants to souls 
   (whom) He has called to these convents, 

which His Majesty has been pleased 
   should be established 
according to the primitive Rule 
   of our Lady of Mount Carmel. 

So sublime are some of the Divine favours
   shown to several of the nuns 
that only those 
who realise the need 
   of somebody explaining to them 
       certain things which occur in the intercourse
   between Christ and the soul
can understand 
   what these religious suffer for want of light. 


For several years 
He has made me take such delight 
   in hearing and reading some of the texts
       in the Canticles of Solomon
that, although I cannot clearly understand 
   the meaning of the Latin in Spanish, 
yet they impress and affect me
   more than many devotional books 
       in my own tongue. 

This is usually the case, 
but although people have told me 
   the sense of the words in Spanish, 
I do not grasp their meaning 
   any better than before . . .   [1]
and without intending it, 
   they withdraw my soul from Him. . . . 

For the last two years, 
our Lord has enabled me 
   to perceive unaided 
         the doctrine contained 
         in some of these texts
which I think would bring comfort 
   to those sisters 
           whom He leads in this way, 
                     and even 
   to myself ; 

For sometimes 
He teaches me much on the subject 
   that I should like to remember, 
yet I have never dared to write it down. 

By the advice of certain persons 
   whom I am bound to obey

I will tell you some of the meanings 
   that Christ taught me were contained
       in certain words 
in which my soul delighted 
   during the state of prayer 
to which He has also raised 
   some of the sisters in our convents, 
who are also my sisters. 
If it is given you to read, 
   accept this poor little gift from her 
who desires for you, 
   as for herself, 
all the gifts of the Holy Ghost, 
  in Whose name I begin this book

Should I meet with any success 
   in my attempt, 
it will not be through my own abilities

May His Majesty enable me 
   to accomplish the work ! . . . 


                   Foot Notes:

[1]  
  The manuscript of Alba de Tormes
      the only one to contain this Prologue
   is incomplete here and at the end, 
      part of the sheet being torn off. 




                      End of  the
              Prologue by St. Teresa 
                           of  the 
       Conceptions of the Love of God
         
              S. Teresa of Jesus 
     of the Order of our Lady of Carmel  
           
                St. Teresa of Avila 
          
     From the Book, 

     "Minor Works Of St. Teresa 
      Conceptions Of The Love Of God 
      Exclamations, Maxims And Poems"



No comments:

Post a Comment