Saturday, June 2, 2012

Conceptions of The Love of God - Chapter 1 - St. Teresa of Avila - Teresa of Jesus - On the Canticle of Canticles - On the Song of Songs


                    Chapter 1 
                            of the 
     Conceptions of The Love of God
                 S. Teresa of Jesus 
  of the Order of our Lady of Carmel  
           
                     St. Teresa of Avila 

                 
     From the Book, 
     "Minor Works Of St. Teresa 
      Conceptions Of The Love Of God 
      Exclamations, Maxims And Poems





    Conceptions of The Love of God  


    On Some Verses Of The Canticle. 

                    Chapter  I
              Chapter  Contents
 Treats 
  • Of the difficulty of understanding 
        the meaning of  the Holy Scriptures,
     especially the Canticle of Canticles. 

 • That some sentences contained in the latter,
       although they seem trite, homely, 
       and unsuited to the most pure utterance 
           of God and of His Spouse, 
     yet comprise very holy mysteries 
            and sublime ideas. 
     ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
   1. Consolation to be found 
           in the mysteries 
        of the Holy Scriptures. 
   2. How to look upon these mysteries. 
   3. Misinterpretation 
          of the Canticle of Canticles. 
   4. Caused by our lack of love for God. 
   5. How the Canticles 
          comfort devout souls. 
   6. They demonstrate God's love for us. 
   7. How profound are the mysteries 
          of the Canticles. 
   8. Saint Teresa's plea 
          for commenting on them. 
   9. Her apologies. 
 10. Whom the Bride addresses 
          in the text quoted. 
 11. "Let Him kiss me 
          with the kiss of His mouth." 
 12. The "kiss" signifies peace. 
 13. The Canticles scandalise tepid souls. 
 14. They are meant for fervent souls. 


            CHAPTER 1
1. Consolation to be found 
           in the mysteries 
        of the Holy Scriptures. 
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░
     
    "Let Him Kiss Me 
          With The Kiss Of His Mouth: 
     For Thy Breasts Are Better Than Wine."
                                                               [1]
1
I have noticed especially 
that the soul appears by these words 
   to be 
      speaking with one person 
                 and 
      asking a kiss from another. 
For the Bride says: 
   "Let Him kiss me 
        with the kiss of His mouth," 
and then appears 
   to address the person himself in the words: 
   "for thy breasts are better than wine." 
I cannot understand this, 
and I am very glad of it. 
For the soul ought not so much 
   to contemplate and honour God 
in those things 
   that our grovelling intellects can master 
       in this life, 
   as in these problems that we cannot solve. 
When you read a book, 
    or hear a sermon, or meditate 
 on any of the mysteries of our holy faith, 
    if you find you cannot clearly 
         comprehend the matter, 
I strongly recommend you 
    not to tire yourselves, 
    nor to strain your minds 
        by puzzling over it, 
for many of these things are 
    not suited for women 
    — nor men either, very often ! 
   2. How to look upon these mysteries. 
  
2
When our Lord wishes us 
   to comprehend these matters, 
He will enlighten us 
   with no labour of our own
This applies to women, 
    and also to men 
who are not bound 
    to defend the truth by their doctrine: 
Those whom God has appointed 
   for our teachers
 must necessarily study, 
   and they gain by it. 
As for us, 
let us 
    accept what He gives us in all simplicity, 
         and 
    not tire ourselves by trying 
        to discover the rest; 


Let us rather rejoice at thinking 
   that we have so great a God, 
Whose every word contains 
   a thousand mysteries, 
so that its very first principle 
   is beyond our grasp. 
This would not be surprising were 
    the language Latin, or Hebrew, or Greek, 
but how many things in the Psalms 
   of the glorious King David 
are as obscure to us in Spanish 
   as they would be in Latin ! 
Therefore 
never rack your brain or tire yourselves 
   about  these matters; 
For women need no more 
   than what suits their capacity 
     — with this, 
          God will give us His grace
               when He chooses
He will teach us 
    without any trouble or labour of our own. 
As for the rest, 
let us humble ourselves and, as I said, 
   glory in having a God 
Whose words, even in the vulgar tongue, 
   are beyond our understanding. 
 3. Misinterpretation 
          of the Canticle of Canticles. 
  
3
You may think 
that some things in the Canticles 
   might have been expressed differently. 
Our minds are so evil 
   that this would not surprise me. 
I have even heard people say 
   that they avoided hearing them. 
Alas, O God, 
   what most miserable creatures we are: 
Like venomous reptiles 
   that turn all they eat into poison ! 
From the great favour our Lord does us in
   - showing us the bliss enjoyed 
       by the soul that loves Him 
              and 
   - how He encourages it  
       to converse with and delight in Him
we draw misgivings and mistaken ideas 
   in accordance with our lukewarm love 
        for Him. 
 4. Caused by our lack of love for God. 
   
4
O my Master ! 
How we pervert all the blessings 
   Thou bestowest on us ! 
Thou dost seek ways and means 
           and allurements 
   to testify Thy love for us
but we, unused, as it were, 
   to love Thee, 
so disparage them 
that our thoughts 
   follow their usual track, 
         and 
   never penetrate the sublime mysteries
        hidden in mere words, 
        dictated as they are 
    by the Holy Spirit
Could more be needed to inflame us 
    with love for God 
than the thought that He did not adopt
    this way of speaking 
        without a deep motive ? 
I remember once hearing a religious 
   preach an excellent sermon, 
principally upon the joys 
   of the bride with her God, 
   and 
the congregation scandalised me 
   by the way that they laughed at 
      and misinterpreted his words
     — for he spoke about love 
          because it was at the Mandatum    [2]
          when no other subject was admissible. 
5. How the Canticles 
          comfort devout souls. 
5
I am convinced, as I said, 
that the love of God is so strange a thing to us
   that we cannot believe 
that a soul could thus be intimate with God
But though these people gained 
   no good from the words 
because they did not understand them, 
and 
I believe they fancied 
that the preacher invented them himself, 
yet others 
 - have drawn 
      great profit and comfort and reassurance 
          of their  misgivings from this source, 
                  and 
 - have often thanked God 
      for having left such gracious refuge 
          and help to souls 
     who love Him fervently, 
        in words which testify 
      how far He can abase Himself. 
Were it not for this, 
   their fears could not be quieted. 


I am acquainted with some one            [3]
   who felt very anxious for many years 
           and 
nothing could reassure her 
   until our Lord was pleased 
that she should hear certain passages 
   from the Canticles 
which showed her 
   that she was in the right path. 
For, as I said, 
she knew that it is possible 
for a soul enamoured of the Bridegroom
   to experience these 
       caresses, ecstasies, 
       overmastering desires of death, 
                and 
       desolations, delights and joys with Him, 
once it 
   - has forsaken all worldly pleasures 
          for His love 
             and 
  - has placed itself entirely in His hands;   [4]
          resigning itself to His will 
     — not in word alone as many do, 
          but in very truth, confirmed by deeds

   6. They demonstrate God's love for us. 
6
O my daughters, 
what a good Paymaster God is ! 
You have a Master and Bridegroom 
Whose notice nothing escapes, 
   Who knows and sees everything, 
so do all you can, 
           however little, 
   for love of Him. 
He will reward you, 
   for He will only look at the love 
which inspired your deeds


To conclude with, 
I advise you, 
   whenever you meet with anything 
       that you do not understand, 
         either in the Holy Scriptures 
         or the Mysteries of the Faith, 
    not to stop to puzzle over it, 
as I said, 
nor to be shocked at the tender speeches
   which pass between God and the soul. 
I am more daunted and overcome 
   at His love for us, 
seeing what we are, 
yet since He feels such affection, 
no endearing words can testify it so plainly 
   as do His actions. 
And now, 
I beg you to 
   pause a little, 
          and 
   think over 
      the love of God for us
               and 
      what He has done for us
Seeing that His love was potent 
   and resistless enough to make Him suffer thus, 
how can He amaze us by any words 
   through which He utters it ? 
   7. How profound are the mysteries 
          of the Canticles. 
7
To return to what I was speaking of. 
There must needs be 
   a deep meaning and profound mystery
contained in the words 
   of the Canticle of Canticles
             and
they are so precious 
that theologians whom I have asked 
    what the Holy Ghost signifies by them 
         and 
    what was their true purport, 
have told me that the Doctors of the Church
     have written many commentaries 
without succeeding in fully explaining them. 
 8. Saint Teresa's plea 
          for commenting on them. 

8
Since this is the case, 
  it seems excessively presumptuous for me 
to attempt to elucidate the subject; 
but this is 
   not my design, 
   nor, however wanting I may be in humility, 
do I suppose 
   that I can penetrate the exact sense. 
My idea is, 
   as I derive great pleasure 
     from what our Lord 
         makes me understand
    when I hear any part 
         of the Canticles,
that if I told you about it, 
   it might perhaps comfort you 
            as it does me. 


Though my commentary 
   may not be applicable 
to the words of the Holy Scripture, 
yet I may take them in that sense, 
   if I do not differ from the doctrine 
      of the Church and the Saints
   — and men skilled in theology 
        will examine my book 
            to guard against this 
        before it is shown you — 


I think our Lord authorises this, 
   as He permits us, 
when meditating on His sacred Passion, 
   to ponder over 
         the many labours and torments 
He must have suffered 
   which the Evangelists never mention. 


If  we do not act from curiosity, 
   as I said at first, 
but only accept the light God gives us
   I feel certain 
that He will not resent our joy and comfort
   in His words and works. 
In the same way, 
it would please and amuse a king 
   to see a  simple shepherd boy, 
who was his favourite, 
   standing amazed at the sight 
       of the royal robes, 
   wondering of what material they were, 
       and 
   how they were made. 
So we women need not be entirely shut out
   from enjoying the divine treasures; 
As to discussing them and teaching others 
   on the subject 
as if we thought we understood it 
   without having consulted learned men 
    — that is another thing. 
  9. Her apologies. 
9
God knows I do not expect such success 
   in what I write 
    — I am only like the shepherd lad 
         I spoke of. 
It is a pleasure to relate my thoughts to you,
although many of  them 
   are very foolish. 
So I will begin, 
   with the aid 
       of my Divine King
           and 
    with the permission 
       of my confessor
May God grant, 
  since He has vouchsafed 
  to let me succeed in aiding you 
     (or has Himself aided you through me 
       on your account) 
  in other ways,
that I may help you now. 
But if not, 
my time will have been well spent 
in writing and thinking 
  over a subject so divine
that I am unworthy 
  even to hear it mentioned. 
 10. Whom the Bride addresses 
          in the text quoted. 
10
It appears to me, as I said before, 
that the Bride is speaking of a third person
   who yet is the very same 
          she is addressing, 
for in Christ there are two natures, 
   one divine and the other human. 
I will not dwell on this, 
because I only intend writing 
   of what appears profitable to us 
who practise prayer 
  — yet everything 
          - serves to encourage 
                    and 
          - rouse to admiration
      the soul that fervently desires
                 to love our Lord. 


His Majesty knows that,  
   though I have heard 
       these words expounded
            and 
they have been explained to me 
   at my own request, 
yet this happened but rarely 
           and 
I remember nothing at all about it, 
   for my memory is very bad. 


Thus I can only say 
   what He teaches me 
          or 
   what suits my purpose, 
   and 
I cannot recall having heard anything 
   about the beginning of the chapter: 
   " Let Him kiss me 
      with the kiss of His mouth." 
 11. "Let Him kiss me 
          with the kiss of His mouth." 
11
O my Lord and my God ! 
What words for a creature 
   to utter to its Creator ! 
Blessed be Thou 
  for having taught us 
   in so many different ways ! 
Who, O my King, 
   who would dare to speak thus 
without Thy permission ? 
It is astounding; 
indeed, some may be astounded 
   at my saying
 that anyone may use such an expression. 
People may tell me 
   that I am a simpleton
  —   "that the bride would not utter
             such a speech," — " 
the words have many meanings 
   and 
we certainly ought 
   not to address them to God; 
"it would be better 
that simple persons should not discuss 
  such things ! " 
 12. The "kiss" signifies peace. 

12.
I own that the words have many meanings,
yet the soul inflamed 
         and intoxicated with love 
   cares for no other meaning, 
        and 
   only desires to utter them, 
since God does not deprive her 
    of the right of so doing. 
God help me ! 
Why should we be so amazed ? 
Is not the reality still more wonderful ? 
Do we not approach
   the most Blessed Sacrament
I have sometimes wondered 
whether the Spouse was asking here 
   for this favour 
which Christ afterwards bestowed on us ? 
At other times I have thought 
  she might have meant 
      the consummate union of God 
      being made Man, 
that close friendship He contracted 
      with the human race. 
Undoubtedly, 
a kiss is the sign of peace and friendship
    between two persons. 
May God give us grace to understand 
   how many kinds of peace there are. 
13. The Canticles scandalise tepid souls. 

13
Before going any farther, 
I have a remark to make 
   which I think is important, 
although it would have been more appropriate
   at some other time; 
However, I will run no risk of forgetting it. 
I feel sure that many souls 
   approach the most Blessed Sacrament 
       — Would to God I were mistaken ! — 
    laden with mortal sins. 
If such persons heard one 
   who was dying for love of God 
utter the words I quote, 
  they 
      would be scandalised 
                and 
      would take it for extreme presumption. 
Most certainly they would never themselves
    use this expression, 
for it and others of the same sort 
   contained in the Canticle of Canticles 
      are uttered by love which speaks thus, 
   and as such persons lack love, 
   they might read the book every day 
         and    
     never use such expressions, 
     nor even dare to pronounce the words   
  whose very sound strikes one with awe, 
     so sublime is their majesty. 
And this majesty is Thine, O my Lord,
   in the most holy Sacrament, 
but as faith is no longer living 
but is dead in such souls, 
they, 
   seeing Thee humbled 
        beneath the species of bread 
                and 
   remaining silent
              (for indeed 
                they are unworthy to hear Thee),
dare thus grievously to outrage Thee. 


When I consider, O my God and  my Lord,  
   the dignity of Thy divine Majesty 
            and
   the greatness of Thy Sovereign bounty
      which lead Thee to communicate 
       so intimately with base creatures, 
I ask myself 
   how it is that they 
      - are not beside themselves with wonder
                 and 
      - do not seek Thy grace and friendship
               with all their heart. 


For, not content with 
   cherishing the soul 
           and 
   giving Thyself 
       for its food and nourishment,
Thou dost delight in its 
     - treating Thee 
         as its tender and beloved Bridegroom
             and 
    - asking Thee to kiss it 
         with Thy sweet and divine mouth. 


In order to bestow Thy gifts and favours 
    and to draw it to Thy love
Thou dost speak to it and teach it 
   with such care 
that the words addressed by Thee to souls 
   to show them their faults, their miseries, 
       and 
   to lead them to renounce earthly things 
are usually of a kind 
   of which the very sound 
       penetrates the mind with fear. [5]
14. They are meant for fervent souls. 
14
If these words were taken literally 
   they might well awe the soul, 
yet to one beside herself 
   with love of Thee, Lord, 
Thou mayest pardon this and even more,
   presumptuous as it may be ! 


For if, my Lord, a kiss signifies peace, 
  why should not souls ask it of Thee ? 
What more can we beg of Thee 
  than what I plead to Thee for, 
   O my Master, 
that Thou wilt kiss me 
   with the kiss of Thy mouth ? 
This, daughters, is a most sublime petition, 
   as I will explain to you. 


                  Foot Notes:

[1]
  Cant. i. i : 
  Osculetur me osculo oris sui : 
    quia meliora sunt libera tua vino, 
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
         Blog Addition:
   Regarding Paragraph #1's  
        Footnote reference #1
    "Let Him Kiss Me   [1]
          With The Kiss Of His Mouth: 
     For Thy Breasts Are Better Than Wine."
_____________________
[2
   The ceremony of the washing of the feet
   which is performed on Maundy Thursday 
   in memory of our Lord's washing the feet
      of the apostles on the eve of His passion.
   It is called Mandatum 
        (whence Maundy Thursday) 
     from the antiphon sung  
     Mandatum novum do vobis 
      — I give you a new commandment. 
     A sermon is sometimes preached 
       during this ceremony. 
  
_____________________
[3]
   The Saint evidently speaks here 
     of her own experience. 
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
         Blog Addition:
  Regarding Paragraph #5's  
      Footnote reference #3
  "I am acquainted with some one            [3]
      who felt very anxious for many years 
           and 
   nothing could reassure her 
     until our Lord was pleased 
  that she should hear certain passages 
     from the Canticles 
  which showed her 
     that she was in the right path. "
_____________________
[4] 
   Castle, M. v. ch. ii. 5. 
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
        Blog Addition:
   Regarding Paragraph #5's  
     Footnote reference #4

 "for a soul enamoured of the Bridegroom
   to experience these 
       caresses, ecstasies, 
       overmastering desires of death, 
                and 
       desolations, delights and joys with Him, 
  once it 
   - has forsaken all worldly pleasures 
          for His love 
             and 
   - has placed itself entirely in His hands;   [4]
          resigning itself to His will 
     — not in word alone as many do, 
          but in very truth, confirmed by deeds." 
       Castle, M. v. ch. ii. 5
  Hasten over your work 
      and 
  build the little cocoon. 
  Let us 
    ▪ renounce self-love and self-will,     
    ▪ care for nothing earthly, 
    ▪ do penance, 
    ▪ pray, 
    ▪ mortify ourselves, 
    ▪ be obedient,
           and 
    ▪ perform all the other good works 
          of which you know. 
  Act up to your light; 
    you have been taught your duties. 
  Die! 
  Die as the silkworm does
    when it has fulfilled the office 
              of its creation, 
              and 
    you will see God
     [ Interior Castle: Mansion 5: Ch. 2: #5 ]
_____________________
[5]
 This paragraph, 
      from the words,  "When I consider,"
       to  " with fear,"
   is only found in the manuscript of Baeza 



                          End of  
      Conceptions of The Love of God
                       Chapter 1 
                S. Teresa of Jesus 
    of the Order of our Lady of Carmel  
           
                  St. Teresa of Avila 
          
    From the Book, 
      "Minor Works Of St. Teresa 
       Conceptions Of The Love Of God 
       Exclamations, Maxims And Poems"   


   


 Note
 Attempt was made to  display the quotes
     of the other books being cited 
 by the editor's foot notes.
 But, they may not be the actual intended passages 
      that were cited by the editor
 since the editions/translations used by the editor
      may have different paragraph numbering 
 than those available to this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment